Yesterday I got to spend time with my Aunt Sandy, Grandma Betty, and my Uncle Gary. My husband and I went to there home and helped them put in a new set of patio doors. We got the doors in without to much effort. It was fun to find out what everyone was up to. My Aunt Sandy is the one person in the family who keeps in touch with everyone. The entire day was pretty cool. However, it was also a little scary and sad for me. My Uncle Gary who is a total sweetheart has changed so much.
He has always been on the thin side. The most he ever weighed was around 145 pounds. He is now just mostly skin over bone. He is a man who usually just sees the fun and good in people and in life. He is the man who went to work and told all his buddies his niece was getting married and he was going to pay for the wedding. He is the one who guided me through being careful about choices I would make in the future when I first moved out on my own. My parents were busy getting a divorce. I always picture him as strong, fun, funny, and one of the most loving of men. Its frightening now with his health problems to see him be physically frail. You can see his frustration with himself over his new limitations. He gets winded so easily. But one of the things I love, of the many things I love about him, is that he doesn't give in or up. I'm not saying he's perfect because none of us are but for a man who is my uncle he as been more like a father to me and I thank him so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment